The BMW Group believes that it is our responsibility to support our community and neighbors, especially in times of need. From the corporate level to individual employees, giving back is an integral part of the BMW Group culture.
As a corporate citizen with an inherent responsibility to support society, the BMW Group has made supporting communities and individuals in need a vital component of company culture. Not only is this expressed through direct corporate donations, but the commitment to giving back is reflected in the many BMW Group programs that allow employees, dealers, and even customers to contribute directly to notable and worthy causes.
Every two years, MINI drivers from across the country gather to rally for MINI Takes the States. In 2018, more than 3,600 MINI owners Rallied to the Rockies, driving 5,030 miles across 14 states in 9 days to raised funds to provide 1.1 million meals through Feeding America, a network of over 200 food banks that provides food to over 46-million people that need it.
The BMW Group’s car sharing service ReachNow has a mission is to create a better way for people to move seamlessly throughout their world. The ReachFurther program provides nonprofits with transportation services and increases mobility to help each organization meet a need and provide freedom to the people they serve. ReachFurther has ongoing partnerships with the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, providing transportation for patients, families, and caregivers as they seek treatment, and Big Brothers Big Sisters, providing transportation to program mentors. ReachFurther’s 2018 partner is New Beginnings, which utilizes a mobile advocacy model to support victims of domestic violence. With help from ReachFurther, advocates can more easily travel to meet survivors in their homes or other locations where they feel safe.
The BMW Group believes that corporations have a duty to help our neighbors and support cultural understanding. As such, we regularly donate to national charities to support them in their mission to strengthen communities and help individuals in times of need. Notable donations in the recent past include:
- The BMW Group donated $1 million to the Red Cross in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey.
- The BMW Group donated $1 million to fund the development of the International African American Museum in Charleston, South Carolina.
- The BMW Group donates $5 to the Red Cross for every BMW First Aid Kit sold. So far, the proceeds from the campaign have resulted in $324,620 donated.
- The BMW Group donated $1 million to the Red Cross in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.
The BMW Group encourages its employees and dealers to contribute to local causes by regularly matching donations and establishing a corporate volunteer day.
- During Corporate Volunteer Day, employees donated $3,000 to various charities and the gift was matched by the BMW Group.
- In 2017, the BMW Group Aftersales team donated BMW e-bikes and M-cruise bicycles to the Hackensack, New Jersey Police Department.